HMRC tax investigation
A company or individual’s tax affairs may be checked to make sure that the right amount of tax is being paid, for example via a VAT compliance check. Tax investigations can be stressful if you are going it alone and you are often distracted from focusing on your business. Whether you have been approached for a record check, compliance visit, intervention disclosure, or another aptly-named investigation, our team is here to help.
Our professionals know what HMRC are looking for. We can often get to the bottom of issues and get cases resolved with minimal disruption to you. Working in cooperation with the client, our approach is to:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the tax position relative to both current and historical financial performance
- Prepare a strategy report on the best way to cooperate with HMRC, evidence you will need to produce, mistakes to avoid and records that you do not need to disclose
- Argue your case, represent your rights, draft responses and make sure you are treated fairly
- Provide regular updates on progress and the likely duration of your tax investigation
- Estimate tax due (or tax due back), plus interest and likely penalties early on, so you can budget accordingly
- Always negotiate to reduce any tax liabilities as far as possible, quite often to nil, before then negotiating to ensure you pay penalties at the lower rate
- Prepare submissions and provide representation at tribunal appeals
- Represent you as your accountant during any HMRC visit
The cost of a tax investigation can quickly add up and with the risk of such investigations increasing in recent years, we provide a Fee Protection Scheme to protect you and your business from unexpected costs in defending your case.